Targeting the right set audience is extremely crucial to the success of your medical company. Digital healthcare marketing is about connecting with the right patients, in the right place and at the right time.
Otherwise, if you are not reaching your potential patients, all your digital healthcare marketing efforts such as SEO to Social Media and Content Marketing will be in vain. Finding and reaching the right audience gives you the ability to tailor your messaging to resonate with your audience, increasing the likelihood of generating leads and converting them into patients.
Reaching potential patients is a key factor for campaign effectiveness, therefore you need to allocate budget into market research. According to the Content Marketing Institute, 43% of companies spend more than half of their marketing budget in reaching their target audience.
This blog post is going to cover the steps that you need to take to reach your target audience through healthcare marketing.
1. Understand What Your Services Are About
Understanding what your services are about will help you understand who you should be targeting. By this, we want you to ensure that you understand what challenges your services help to address. Who do you know would benefit the most from your services, and what are the key unique features of your services (compared to your competitors). Addressing this will give you an understanding of who your digital marketing efforts should be aimed at.
You can also identify your target audience by analysing the characteristics of your existing patient base. Your existing patients share common challenges and interests that your marketing strategy should already have the ability to match. As you are working to generate leads like your existing patient base, you need to uncover more information about them to develop your patient persona(s).
2. Build Your Patient Persona(s)
A patient persona is fictional representations of your target audience. It details their age, gender, education, income, location, device, interests and determines the type of audience your medical business is attracting. When developing a patient persona for healthcare marketing purposes, you need to consider three factors:
- Demographics: Their gender, age, education, profession, occupation, income level, and marital status, etc.
- Psychographics: Their buying habits, interests and values.
- Technographic: Information regarding their technology adoption and usage habits of the patients. The mobile device they use, websites they visit to find information, their social media habits, etc.
The information gathered plays a crucial part in developing an accurate patient persona:
- Demographic information gathered will help you to understand your potential patients
- Psychographic information will help you understand their reasoning for potential patients engaging with your brand.
- Technographic information will help you to deliver the right type of content.
3. Use Audience Analytics Tools
To better understand your online target audience, you should learn how to take advantage of audience analytics. Audience analytics is an AI-driven platform that helps to determine the type of content you need to create based on the type of content your target audience is already consuming. It also provides information on when your target audience consumes the content and for how long.
Using audience analytics uncovers valuable data sets that can help to improve the profile of your patient persona(s), by giving you the ability to:
- Uncover accurate digital and social media persona profiles – You will be able to know exactly who your personas are by combining your digital and social media audience research. You will be able to understand what their interests, affinities, and influencers are and will learn how to reach them through the right content.
- Gain insight into their affinities – You will be able to understand what your patient persona(s are most likely to engage with and where, as well as being able to determine the content pieces that are performing well on those channels. This information can then be used to create better healthcare marketing campaigns.
4. Connect With Relevant Influencers
The healthcare landscape is hugely competitive, so it’s simply not enough to post all your content on your website and wait for your target audience to find it. There is a huge opportunity for medical business owners like you to tapping into influencer marketing. Influence marketing can help you to reach your potential patients relatively quickly, and it’s not as hard as you may think.
Start by research the most popular websites and influencers relevant to your business and pitch to them for a guest post or a sponsored post. Doing this will expose your brand to a new set of audiences, and will also increase your chance of generating high-quality traffic that will ultimately convert into patients.
It is very important to know the goal that you want to achieve through influencers. For example, are you looking to increase brand awareness or do you want to drive more patients to your clinic?
Be sure to communicate your goals with the influencer(s) you want to work with to ensure the effective delivery of your message, values and benefits.
5. Finally, Use Social Listening Tools
For long-term success with your target audience, you need to refer to your patient persona profiles continuously. A great way to stay ahead of your competitors is to use social listening tools like BuzzSumo, Mention, Hootsuite and social media hashtags.
Social listening tools help you to discover topics that potential patients are talking about. Once you identify the topics, you can look through the profile of the users participating in the conversation, giving you a better understanding of their interests. Valuable insights like this can then be used to develop your patient personas further.
So now you have the top five tips to reach potential patients online. You should now be able to identify the right target audience. Use the tips found in this blog post to focus your healthcare marketing efforts in getting those people to convert into patients of your medical facility.
You may also like: Best Medical Marketing Strategies for 2020
Want to boost your lead generation the quick and easy way? Schedule your 30-minute strategy session with us today.